Membership in the Professional Football Writers of America is open to those who fit the following criteria (PFWA membership application is at bottom of this page):
- Individuals employed by media organizations of general circulation, which regularly assign reporters to cover professional football, including the following: a reporter assigned regularly to cover professional football; a sports editor, assistant sports editor, or head of a sports desk; a regular sports columnist; or anyone certified by his or her sports editor as a football specialist who is not otherwise specified in this Section.
- Any individual who does not qualify under Section 3.01.A. may be granted membership on a case-by-case basis by the Board, but only if the applicant meets one of the following:
- He or she is an employee of a weekly newspaper or news magazine which covers professional football on a regular basis and the applicant is assigned to such coverage;
- He or she is an employee of a daily newspaper of specialized circulation (e.g. a foreign language or neighborhood newspaper) which regularly assigns reporters to cover professional football;
- He or she is a sports editor or regular columnist of a daily newspaper of general circulation that does not regularly assign reporters to cover professional football;
- He or she is an employee, editor, or owner of a website which specializes in professional football; or
- He or she is a writer for a media enterprise and the applicant is primarily responsible for covering professional football or related subjects such as college football as it pertains to the NFL draft.
Any individual who is employed by a professional football league, any of its teams, or any media entity owned by said league or any of its teams is not eligible to be a Member.